3 Valley Gap Antique Automobile Museum

Gordon Bell, late owner of Three Valley Gap, began his collection of antique autos when he was a teenager. In high school he owned three 1927 Chryslers and today his collection has grown to 14 antique cars from the early 1900ís.

The antique cars in the museum date from 1902 to 1929. They have been lovingly restored to running condition and all come from western Canada. The Bell Family continues to display Gordonís collection of antique autos in the Ghost Town for all to enjoy.

Antique Fords

Half of the cars in the 3 Valley Gap Antique Auto Museum are Fords, this makes sense because by the 1920ís Ford made half of the cars in the world. Most of the Fords in the collection are Model Tís. The Model T was the most common car on the road at the time and Ford made 15 million of them.

Included among the Fords is a white 1912 Model T. Everyone has heard the saying that "people could have Model T Fords in any color, so long as it's black," but that wasnít true for the first few years. From 1908 to 1913 they actually came in four additional colours Ė red, white, green and blue. In 1914 Ford limited the colour choice to Japan black because it was the only paint that would dry fast enough for their production timetable. Ford made five different types of Model Tís Ė pickup, roadster, sedan, two door and the touring car.

Henry Fordís first vehicle was the quadracycle, a buggy-like vehicle that had four bicycle tires - built in 1896. He would go broke twice before experiencing success building Model Tís in 1908. Ford built his cars from scratch, buying the ore ingots to produce the steel and iron and owning his own sawmills for lumber. This was the only way he could control the entire assembly of his cars.

In the early 1900ís there were approximately 2500 automobile manufacturers in North America. The majority of them went out of business, while others either merged together or were taken over by other car makers.

*All facilities are a division of Three Valley Lake Chateau Ltd.